President Bill Clinton gave the best speech of the night (below after the editorial). It energized not only the crowd but I would imagine it energized people across America. After this convention the idea that President Barack Obama's base is unenthusiastic will quickly be shown to be false. I am more excited about President Obama's re-election campaign then I was during his first Presidential campaign. Yes I was a Hillary Clinton supporter two democratic primaries ago but when it became apparent Barack Obama was going to get the nomination I quickly got on board of his campaign. I was a supporter of his but I was unsure if he would be able to deliver on his promises like health care reform and reforming the banks.
He has not only delivered on those things he has with Democratic Lawmakers and some Republicans has:
- Reformed the student loan program
- Started a Dream Act like program
- Brought the war in Iraq to an end
- Liberated the Libyan people from a tyrant and possible genocide
- Cleaned up corruption within the federal government and made it more transparent
- Removed restrictions on stem cell embryonic research
- Increased funds for R&D and infrastructure
- Rescued the auto-industry
- Saved us from the second Great Depression
- Rescued many struggling home owners
- Made it more difficult for wealthy tax invaders to avoid taxation
- Did much to help people in disaster areas and did not wait until after the disasters to release funding and government agencies to help people like the last administration
- Gave new consumer protections including credit card protections
- Lowered drug cost for seniors
- Extended and strengthened the Medicare Program by eight years without cutting benefits
- Demanded more energy efficiency standards for automobiles and industry
- Gave the middle and working class tax cuts and tax cuts to small business
- Modified regulations to allow for more economic development
- Increased energy output of oil, gas, nuclear, and renewables greatly decreasing our need for foreign energy sources
- Increased environmental protections without hurting economic development
- Appointed two women to the Supreme Court
- Appointed more women to his administration then any President in history
- Stood up for women's rights, supported contraception, women's choice, and countless other pro-women legislation and policies being the most pro woman President in history
- Did more to advance gay rights then any President in history by including sexual orientation and gender identity protections in the most comprehensive hate crime bill ever signed into law, ended Don't Ask Don't Tell, along with countless other legislative accomplishments and policy changes from previous administrations
- Saved the jobs of many public servants ex. teachers, firefighters, police officers, government workers etc...
- Phasing out Guantanamo Bay while closing other secret detention centers and stopped the previous administration's enhanced intergeneration programs
- Did more for veterans then any president since FDR
- Started a new policy allowing Cubans to visit family members in Cuba
- Greatly improved our standing with the international community
- Worked with Israel to help combat the Iranian nuclear program and reconfirmed the US/Israel relationship
Thus all those who say President Obama has not accomplished much needs to reconsider this statement. What's more he did all this in spite of unprecedented Republican opposition. He was able to accomplish all this with an entire movement, The Tea Party, attacking him on all fronts and doing everything to keep him from succeeding. The Tea Party has failed, has no accomplishments to point to, has done nothing of significance in two years except stonewall countless pieces of legislation that would have greatly helped the average American, and showed the American People their true agenda which is contrary to the average American. President Obama will indeed go down as one of our best President's in history regardless of the Tea Party, Fox News, and talk radio attempt to tarnish that legacy. You can not rewrite history and make up your own facts the truth is the truth and lies are lies.
Join me in re-electing President Obama on November 6th. He not only is better then Mitt Romney he has earned re-election. Everyone who has followed me knows I am not a blind follower of President Obama and have been very critical of him at times. I was so upset with him for a time I considered voting third party. I even flirted with the idea of voting for Ron Paul as I was very interested in some of the things he was saying and admired his stance on civil liberties, ending the two wars, and his call for government reform. After researching him deeply however I saw how radical his economics were and realized I could not support such a man. I have since gave the President a second look and have researched his accomplishments and realized I was wrong. I still am upset about some of the things he has failed to act on like the genocide in Syria, giving my state of Arizona a waiver on Medicaid which has meant over 150,000 childless adults have lost medical coverage and with the Supreme Courts decision may never get it, and his refusal to speak about poverty in this country and doing things to help move people out of it. I am willing to overlook these negatives however because the positive things he has done has far outweighed his negatives. How could I have been so blind not to see the President for the great man he was? How could I have been so influenced by certain family members and friends to begin to have second thoughts about him? How could I not see the truth right in front of my face that President Obama is one of the greatest Presidents in history?
I still will stay an Independent and not rejoin The Democratic Party as it is still not addressing issues like they have done historically like poverty, not fully standing up for human rights in the world like what is happening in Syria, and being way to cozy with corporate interest. I however will vote for President Obama, encourage everyone I know to do the same thing even the Romney supporters, and help campaign for him. I am fully on board with Barack Obama I encourage others to get on board as well. This election is too important to let old disagreements, resentments, or hostilities stop us from voting for President Obama. It is time to swallow our pride and realize there never has nor will be a perfect President. It is time to realize no third party option will succeed and our only real choice is President Obama. It is time to put our youthful idealism to rest and embrace pragmatism as the way forward as in a divided government it is the only way forward. It is time to bring our dreams to the reality of present. We wish for a better world but it will not come overnight and will not happen exactly as we will want it it to be. We do not have to stop dreaming or loose our idealism we just must realize the reality in which we live. President Obama is our last best hope for moving forward that idealism and seeing our dreams someday perhaps becoming a reality.
Former President Bill Clinton addresses the 2012 Democratic National Convention. He is joined on stage following his speech by President Barack Obama.